Some economists believe that deflation is now a more serious threat than inflation. If this is the case then conventional monetary policy may not be enough to prevent deflation. In the article below, Gavyn Davies argues that the solution is to start thinking like South American dictators and print more money!
We must start thinking like South American dictators Guardian (13/11/08)
- Explain what is meant by “deflation”.
- Examine the link between deflation and depression.
- Explain why deflation requires a different policy response from inflation.
- Discuss the likely success of a policy of “printing money” in preventing deflation.
- Assess the impact of financing tax cuts through the sale of government bonds in a deflationary situation.